Thursday, April 21, 2011

First Garment... GO!

So.. I know I haven't posted in a while but I am trying to get used to the fact that we have started with our collections. HECTIC times ahead! This is the life of a FEDISA fashion student. Time management skills are crucial! On Monday we started with our most difficult garment.. We have 2 weeks in total which is crazy but doable. I finished my patterns on Tuesday and yesterday I started sewing. I chose to start with my 5th look (below) for I have a lot of beading to do on both the bodice as well as the hooded bolero. 

Like I mentioned in a previous post, my collection progresses from the colours and features of the marine life and water closer to the ocean's surface to the darker colours and stranger features of the deep sea creatures. Seeing that this look is in the middle, the colours aren't too dark just yet but this look contains some of the features of the weird and wonderful creatures of our ocean such as a deep sea squid and jelly fish.










I must say, at first I was a bit stressed but now that I'm almost used to the idea of hand sewing 24/7 next week (probably the weekend as well) I feel an unexpected calmness inside of me. I think it is probably because we have 8 days off to continue our little garment tech process. YESSS! Or the fact that I am TOTALLY excited to see the final product... 

This past holiday I went to Pretoria and was lucky enough to travel to a few of their fabric shops. I fell in LOVE with some but unfortunately I could not change my choice of fabrics for I have already added the swatches to my final collection storyboards.. Un.lucky. Although, I did purchase a few different fabrics so that I can make myself something purdy too :) 

Watch this space!
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment